Friday, June 8, 2012

Squirrel Nutkin: Field to Table


So I know I dangled visions of our discoveries at the Mercado da Ribeira, one of the biggest local marketplaces in Lisbon, and clearly that is why you have decided to continue reading our blog; however, I figured that since I mentioned the identifying squirrel anatomy incident, I figured I had better just tell the full story. 

NOTE: this story, well, frankly much of this blog, is not for the squeamish.  If you are offended by the idea of eating “icky” parts, talk of guts or sucking the heads of Norway lobsters, turn back now. 

Anyway, as I said before, our first pit stop on our way to becoming Spanish farmers-in-training was spending a week with Jonathan’s family in the rural town of Dawsonville Georgia.  

Among her many hobbies and interests, my mother in law, Peggy, is an avid creature watcher.  She keeps a set of binoculars within easy reach of her kitchen, just in case.  With said binoculars, I myself saw a turtle floating in the pond, several birds of prey and heard stories of egrets, rabbits, and others, including several other species of birds.  The birdies being of particular interest, Peggy has multiple bird feeders strategically placed so that she may view her birds from just about anywhere in the kitchen.  Among the sweet hummingbird nectar and various bird seed, she also lures them with a treat of peanut butter filled feeders, a bird favorite.  Apparently, also a squirrel favorite.

After a week of watching Peggy eyeball the offending squirrels with the binoculars and curse them under her breath, on our last day in Georgia, she finally had enough.  She turned to Jonathan and asked, “If I get some shells, the shotgun is in Cory’s room, will you get me a (insert appropriate squirrel curse here) squirrel?”  Jonathan’s reply, “Hell yeah!” and immediately retrieved the shotgun from the sleeping Cory’s bedroom.  Needless to say, the prospect of watching Jonathan “gettin’ him a squirrel” was enough to raise Cory from his cocoon. 

Now, the eating of Squirrel Nutkin is not a common practice in Monterey.  Honestly, I have to say, as a person with fond memories of sharing my peanuts with the cute little squirrels at Lover’s Point, I had a little twinge of my former “cute animal syndrome": as a child, nobody at our dinner table was allowed to order rabbit, quail, veal, duck, etc. because I just couldn’t bear the idea of eating such cuteness!  Oh, the irony, you say.  Despite my stumble on the path to full blown carnivore, I had heard Jonathan talk about the tastiness of squirrel meat: rabbit-like with a slightly stronger flavor due to their diet of mostly acorns and nuts, (and sometimes peanut butter) and I was excited to actually get to try it myself. 

One shot, BOOM!  Two shots, BOOM!  The poor guy may have been missing some belly hair after the second shot but he still managed to dart away in one piece.  Surprisingly, despite the fact that he had already been shot at twice and was sporting a number one buzz cut on his belly, the persistent squirrel could not resist the prospect of a cheek full of peanut butter and therefore came creeping back.  Eager to show up his big brother, Cory took the shotgun for a go at the squirrel.  His first shot stunned the squirrel, the second shot took him down! 
PigWizard Displays Squirrel Anatomy

Jonathan proceeded to skin the squirrel, slice him open, and give me a very educational squirrel anatomy lesson...Yup, it had all the expected mammal parts, including but not limited to: heart, liver, kidneys, bowel, etc.  I had seen Jonathan cut up multiple deceased pigs, and of course I've portioned a chicken or two in my lifetime, but this was really my first complete butchery lesson from mooing to market ready.  In anticipation of even larger scale experiences on the farm, I figured that ultimately I needed to get over my squeamishness and that this was a good place to start.

When the squirrel was finally hairless and gutless, Jonathan seasoned it with some salt pepper and olive oil and stuck in in the fridge to marinate.  As our flight to Lisbon was merely hours away, we then commenced repacking our respective 49 and 51 pound bags.  As it happens, sometimes things just take a bit longer than you expect, and let me tell you, fitting all the crap that Jonathan just had to bring ;-) into two bags and two backpacks was an art. 

Unfortunately, as a result, we ran out of time for our squirrely lunch, however, I am sure it made a fine appetizer for the rest of the family.  And, although the curtain closed before I could make my squirrel meat eating debut, I know that the next time we visit Dawsonville there will still be countless pesky peanut butter stealing squirrels and perhaps then I will even get to test my new found squirrel butchery skills.   

Until next time, Dawsonville.

Cory, Peggy, Hazel (Granny) & Jonathan
For real, next up:  Discoveries at the Mercado da Ribeira

No comments:

Post a Comment